Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Precious Commodities


I sat on the couch of the resort suite I’d been given, relaxedly like my body had to join in puddy like union with the couches, every muscle giving way to the strength of the cushions pushing back with their fibrous resistance, and I looked at the hole I’d cut into my uniform shorts.  It was badly stitched together, a gap not fully healed, and that was my second attempt at sewing it closed.

The Australian thought of the day came to me at that moment and was verbalized as, “I’m going to wear these shorts in Australia.” Of course I am. They are light weight, have 2 cargo pockets with Velcro, look presentable, have belt loops, and have one zippered pocket for a world travelers extra precious commodities: passports, international cell phone, money, important keys, maps, bottle opener, lighter, etc. 

I’m glad that the topic of clothing has been broached. I hadn’t really thought of it before other than to decide I wouldn’t be bringing many clothes with me because its hot, I’d like to bring an empty suitcase in order to hoard and bring back more valuables, and it would be fun to purchase Australian wear while I was there to get the full experience.  Someone said to me the other day, “Have you packed yet?”  No, I haven’t packed yet.  I’ll probably do that the night before the departure.

I don’t only want to see, hear, smell, and touch Australia, I want to wear it on my body, I want to dream about it at night, I want the Australian mind to join with me in a Vulcan mind meld, I want the soul of Australia to waft into my nostrils and come out through the pores in my skin, and I’m only going to be there for 3 weeks. 

Its not even really possible is it?  As a comparison, try to imagine ingesting every aspect of The United States of America in 3 weeks.  Any American would tell you it can’t be done, shouldn’t be done.  And really, it’s not a realistic goal to think I in one session could capture the entire essence of a continent, people, and culture.  I’ll be in Western Australia for 10 days. As a comparison, this one state is three times the size of Texas. That’s a lot of desert.

I can’t concern myself with ultimate exploration and complete knowledge of a time, place, and people.  I can only try to fruitfully explore the options open to me at the time. I can give it my best to explore within my means, report what is within my perception, and accept the finitude of this meager set of eyes.