Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Literary Adultery


I do have to give the people at Microsoft a little credit for full screen typing mode with a 200% zoom level on my Macbook. It’s the blank canvas of the painter made palpable for the writer.  The screen is bright, the keys are lit up, all that white to be edited with my finger tips, finger painting for the adult, instant literary adultery, I’m cheating on my self with my this sexy little computer.  Secretive and mysterious.

I recently spent two and a half days away from work.  I was enjoying my family in Philadelphia and came home early enough to be home by 6pm on the third day.  I felt like I had been in “vacation mode.”  I have often used the word ‘mode’ to describe the state of mind shift I experience from going from a man focused on his household chores and professional duties to a man without focus, without concern, with a dedication to the moment, eating when he needs to eat, laughing frequently, and only managing his own life without concern of getting things done or making decisions for others.

This feeling made me excited for Australia.  I realized that I could completely let go and be in vacation ‘mode’ for an extended period of time. Sure there would still be the stresses of flights, following the Troutman travel itinerary, following the Bungle Bungle itinerary, and the general out of culture experiences but that could all come in stride while living for the sake of living.