Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Wild at Heart by Birds of Tokyo


I went to the local CD store and looked at the music on hand for sale.  Mother talked to the clerk about ordering her a DVD version of the Rabbit Proof Fence.  The clerk informed her that they could order such an item but the store was going out of business. Mother asked why and the clerked explained that downloading off the Internet has really changed the business and made it difficult for small retailers, while I in my hand was writing down the words Birds of Tokyo in my journal to live stream it off the Internet that night.  The brilliance of real life irony is always my favorite. You can't make stuff like that up because no one would believe it. Although, live streaming is not illegal, and live streaming then recording with a digital music recorder is also not illegal, at least in America, so I didn't feel guilty about the moment from a legal point of view.

I like this track and video.  These chaps are from Broome I believe, capital of all things Australian pearl. They remind me of Live from the states in that they have drums, guitars, bass, singing that you can understand, and a fair mix of emotionality and intellectuality that gives their lyrics an ability to be interpreted.  Some of the other tracks on their album bored me but this one was worthy of a video watch and listen.

Mother tells me that musical artists in Australia consider being popular in America as the "Holy Grail."  She explained that she has found Aussie's are always trying to compare themselves to the states because they are so interested in what goes on there.  I listened and filed it under "Things my Mom has Random Opinions About." However, I have to validate this opinion. Twice while in public yesterday I had an Australian ask me, "What do you like better Australia or the US?"  I really couldn't believe it and I answered by saying I'd only been here for two days. Then they serenaded me with "Good Days, No Worries, Mates, You Rights?"